Friday, September 26, 2014

It Begins...


It Begins...

I arrived in Tokyo 2 weeks ago and have been through long rehearsals and had opening night last night.  This is year 12 of the Disney on Classic Tour and last night’s show, as near as I can figure, was #351 in the series.  This year we have 52 concerts in 30+ cities starting with 3 here in Tokyo this weekend. It is interesting to watch orchestra and singers, lighting and sound technicians, stage crew and all other support teams go about the business that we all know so well yet still find challenging and fun.  During rehearsal I may spend 6 hours (minus breaks) standing and waving my arms in front of the orchestra as we work our way through often very challenging music.  This is the grunt work that nobody outside ever sees but is essential if the tour is to be a success. The actual tour is a relief.  Every day is just enough different so that it keeps even those of us with short attentions spans enthused. I am the orchestra conductor which seems to mean that everyone is my boss.  This is much like being a preacher and receiving pointers on your sermon from everyone and their brother.  I will be posting tour updates from time to time here as time progresses.  So you have been warned... 

1 comment:

Randolph said...

Hi Brad. Looking forward to following you!