Wednesday, October 29, 2008

True Companions



As a young man, one of the ways I knew I was ready to get married was that I had a desire to share my life’s experiences with someone. I was an itinerant musician, traveling around the country doing shows, concerts and what have you. I was happy, doing exactly what I wanted to do. But at some point it just seemed that the interesting places I went, people I met, food I ate, and diversions I enjoyed all lacked that something that comes from sharing it with someone. So when Karen Rogers came along I knew that I had found that someone. She has been my traveling companion ever since, enduring the rough road and the smooth with grace and (mostly) good humor. Now here we are 32 years later. I’m still an itinerant musician doing shows, concerts and what have you. Back in the day the view we shared may have been a huge dead cow and a jackknifed semi in the middle of a country road that was blocking our way to a gig in Nebraska. Or the back side of Roy Clark at show after show after show. Today it’s Mt. Fuji out the window of the bullet train or green tea with gold leaf floating in it. But the experience is basically the same. I can honestly say that back in 1976 neither of us would have given much thought to where we would be in 32 years. But now I know the answer; Seoul, Korea.