Monday, November 3, 2008

The Dark Night of the Seoul





I'm headed back to Japan in the morning after 6 days in Seoul, Korea. We had 5 great concerts here, had a wonderful party and met some great people. Our promoter was fabulous and we had wonderful, supportive sponsors. Sejong Center is a jewel. Korean passengers on the subway offered help to us in finding our way. People would walk up to us as we were looking at our city map to point us in the right direction. A guy on the subway got up to give Karen his seat and then moved the lady next to her so I could sit there! On the other hand I have been pushed, bumped, jostled, and muttered at by passersby, cab drivers and shopkeepers. Waiters have cordially ignored my gestures for service and our Korean interpreter openly gave me a bad time on stage. I know that it doesn't help that I don't speak a word of Korean and that it is unfair to expect the real Korea to fulfill my theme park expectation of what I wish Korea to be. It is what it is. Living just a few kilometers away from a nuclear-armed nutcase (Kim Jong Il) doesn't help things either, I'm sure. I'm processing all this and hoping to have another go at it if I am able to return next year. I hear China is even more free-wheeling so maybe this is preparation for that someday. On to Yokohama!

No comments: