Sunday, October 18, 2009

Disney on Classic 2009 - Room With a View




Having spent so much of my life in hotels I have developed a strategy to be comfortable therein.  The first thing I do is unpack everything, hang it up or put it in drawers and then stow my suitcases where I’m not stumbling over them.  Then I like to hit the street and get some food.  There is something reassuring when you eat that assures you that the place will sustain you.  All of a sudden it’s not so alien. (“Amazing! People eat food here too! I wonder if they use the toilet???”)  I also bring some favorite comfort food from home if I can.  Here in Japan the food can be bland to the debased American palate, so it’s nice to bring something with some serious salt, fat and crunch factor which can go a long way to restoring my sense of equilibrium.  My friend Jack has provided me with the Gardetto’s (Photo) which are lovingly packed and then consumed during the 3-5am “I’m still getting used to Japan time” wakefulness.  To the Japanese this is food from Mars.  Once my Mother visited and brought some Mackinaw Island fudge to share with the Japanese orchestra members.  They cut it up into teeny-tiny cubes and dutifully ate it but it was way too sweet for them to enjoy.  Another time, my son DJ shared his “Warheads” with the Japanese staff and about killed 3 of them.  For me, a piece of sweet bean candy at 4am just doesn’t get the job done.  But that’s what makes the world go ‘round.  I bring along my favorite, most comfortable clothes to wear when I’m awake in the middle of the night and feeling bereft. At that point you might see me sitting in a chair, reading my bible with my hood up.  This is comfort.

No comments: